Liang Zeng Yan, Ph. D., Patent Agent, Office of Technology Commercialization. Dr. Yan is committed to serve the higher education of Purdue University and to promote the values of scientific research and discovery for societal benefit. To fulfill this goal, he performs prompt and competent analyses of intellectual property protection strategies. He works cooperatively with Purdue inventors and OTC licensing staff to evaluate technology-based innovations to enable timely technology transfer. Dr. Yan’s main responsibilities include:
- Draft patent applications and present applications to USPTO and copyright registrations to US Copyright Office for the benefit of Purdue.
- Prosecute patent applications with respect to all aspects of patent law, including preparing formal communications and responses to national patent offices, conducting examiner interviews and related prosecution activities.
- Engage and manage outside counsel on patent prosecution matters including coordinate, manage and account for budget expenditures associated with all assigned project-related activities for the benefit of Purdue.
Prior joining PRF, Dr. Yan obtained his doctorate degree from the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta. After a post-doctoral training at The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, he joined Eli Lilly and Company as a senior drug discovery scientist. During his thirteen-plus years there, Dr. Yan’s laboratory delivered several clinical candidates in the areas of endocrinology, pain/migraine and oncology. Dr. Yan had multiple patent applications and about thirty peer-reviewed research papers. He is a licensed patent agent at USPTO.
1. What is one invention that you just couldn’t live without? Electricity.
2. How would you explain thunder and lightning to a frightened child? Mother Nature is mad.
3. If you were granted an interview with Albert Einstein, what would be your first question for him? What is the relation of time and space? In other words, how big is a day?
4. Who has been the most influential person in your life? My wife.
(765) 588- 3477